The purpose of the Victim Witness Unit is to ensure the rights of crime victims by providing direct services to crime victims who come to the attention of the County Criminal Justice System. Services are standardized statewide to include components such as case status notification, court accompaniment, referral for counseling services, and safe waiting areas.
The goal of the County Offices of Victim-Witness Advocacy is to improve the treatment of victims and ensure their rights by providing the assistance and services necessary to speed their recovery from a criminal act and to support, aid and advocate for them as they move through the criminal justice process. Under mandated services of NJSA 52:4B-44.1-16, the Crime Victims' Bill of Rights and the Attorney General's Standards to ensure the Rights of Crime Victims, crime victims and witnesses are provided with a number of important services.
Assistance, Services & Information Provided:
- Information about the criminal justice process
- Information on the case status through a letter notification process
- Information on Restitution
- Crisis Intervention
- Expedite property return
- Referrals to community services
- Assistance with Victim-Impact Statements
- Courtroom orientation and accompaniment
- Information on parole input
- Information on the court ordered medical testing of a defendant for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or infection with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or another related virus identified as a probable causative agent of AIDS.
- Information on referrals to available medical testing and counseling for a victim who as a result of a crime may be at risk for transmission of disease.
New Jersey Victims of Crime Compensation Office
Office of Victim Witness Advocacy
Victim Information Notification Everyday (VINE)
The New Jersey Notification Service (VINE) is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender's custody status changes.
Click here for the Victim Witness Advocacy Center
Back to Homepage