By reducing and reusing, we can eliminate waste before it is created.
Simple changes you can make to reduce the waste in your home.
By reducing the amount of waste that you generate and reusing items when possible, you will help save money, energy, and resources for the next generation.
- Bring your own shopping bag *
- Bring your own reusable water bottle.
- Say no to single use plastics (straws, cutlery, disposable plates & cups).
- Make a meal plan - slow down and eat at home.
- Start relying on reusable containers.
- Start composting.
- Learn to repair rather than discard.
- Cancel unnecessary mail.
* Beginning on May 4, 2022, no retail store or food service business will be able to provide or sell a single use plastic carryout bag to a customer. Also, grocery stores will not be allowed to provide or sell a single-use paper carryout bag to a customer. Visit https://www.bagupnj.com/ or https://www.nj.gov/dep/plastic-ban-law/ to learn more.
Learn more about source reduction at these websites:
Return to Solid Waste Management