To ease the burden of chronic disease, increase health and happiness, and foster environmental stewardship, by virture of prescribing Nature during the routine of delivery.
Over 100 million Americans currently suffer from a chronic disease, such as coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, mental health conditions and others. More than 2/3's of American adults currently suffer from overweight/obesity, which contributes to chronic disease. Chronic disease results in decreased quality of life, and ultimately, premature death.
Spending time in natural environments increase physical activity, hence decreasing the risk of developing chronic disease. Parks RX American is a low-cost intervention that utilizes a known, generally trusted, and accessible resource - parks - to influence positive health outcomes.
- Make it easy for health professionals to perscribe time in nature to patients during the routine delivery of health care
- Reduce the effects of chronic disease and mental health issues with a low-cost intervention
- Create the next generation of environmental stewards by prescribing time in local parks
- Evaluate the effects of park perscriptions on park utilization and measureable health outcomes
- Fund and publish research in peer-reviewed journals and publications on health and wellness, public lands, outdoors, nature, and recreation
How it Works:
Prescription Tracking Model
Health Care provider finds park(s), prescribes to patients, submits "prescription" form in Park Rx with an ID code. Patient gets prescription by email with reminder text messages to phone, or a hard copy from their Provider. This all occurs in one office visit.
Patient then visits selected park and records park visited, which is considered "filling" prescription. Patients report their activites through Park Rx's webpage or directly to their Provider.
When a patient submits their response, Park Rx records the Rx ID code, type, park, date filed, date filled and patient comments. Patient data is recorded in their Provider's client treatment file or diagnosis tab.
Patient data is available to their Health Care Provider to assess the patient's progress and adjust future prescriptions. With Park Rx data in the patient's file, the Provider can then "track" the patient in the next office visit.
Check out the Middlesex County and Park Rx America Story HERE.
Return to Office of Health Services