1. What is Vote by Mail?
Vote by Mail has replaced Absentee Voting in the State of New Jersey. It allows a voter to vote without going to the polls on Election Day.
2. Who can Vote by Mail?
Any registered voter can Vote By Mail. No reason is necessary to apply.
3. How do I apply for Vote by Mail?
You can apply by completing an application and sending it to the County Clerk. If you do not return your completed application, we will not be able to send you a Vote by Mail ballot.
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-9925
4. Where can I get an application for Vote by Mail?
You can get an application at:
5. Do I have to pay for Postage?
No, both the application and the ballot envelope are postage paid.
6. When do I have to apply to Vote by Mail?
Your application must be received by the Clerk's Office seven (7) days prior to the election, postmarks are not accepted .
You can also apply in person to the County Clerk's Office up until 3:00 pm the day before the election.
7. Can someone help me complete the application and ballot materials?
Yes, you can have someone help you. This person must complete the assistor section. However, you the voter must
sign the application .
8. Can I fax or e-mail my application?
Only active duty military and voters residing overseas may apply by fax or e-mail. All other voters must apply in writing, with
original signature .
9. If it is within seven days before the election , and I am not able to apply in person to the County Clerk, can someone else get my ballot?
Yes, you would need to complete the application, including the Authorized Messenger section. Your messenger would then apply to the County Clerk, obtain your ballot, and deliver it to you. Your messenger must be a family member or a registered voter in this county and cannot be a candidate on the ballot.
10. If I apply and receive a Vote by Mail ballot, can I vote at the polls instead?
No. If you did not receive or return your ballot, you may vote by provisional ballot at the polls .
11. If I Vote by Mail, will my vote be counted?
Yes, all votes are counted and included in the final official results.
12. Can I apply for someone else?
No, only the voter can apply. The application must have an original signature, as it appears in the poll books. State law does not allow Power of Attorney.
13. What if my signature has changed ?
You can update your signature by contacting the Administrator of Elections at (732) 745-3471.