In the State of New Jersey, each county has an office designated by the Department of State as an acceptance agent for applications for United States passports. All applicants must appear in person to execute his or her passport. For more information on first time passports or passport renewal instructions and to download the proper application, click here.
Please refer to the Dept. of State website
for all processing times, including information on faster service (see EXPEDITED SERVICE REQUIREMENTS section).
Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16
As required by Code of Federal Regulations Title 22, Section 51.28.
Both parents must be present for minors under age 16. Both parents' signatures are required.
Only one parent is needed for age 16 and older.For more information click here.
US Passport Card
As of February 1, 2008, the US Department of State introduced a new travel document for US Citizens called the US Passport Card. This card is valid for land and sea crossings between the US and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. Citizens traveling by sea are urged to confirm with their cruise line to determine if any other ID is required for travel. If traveling by air, citizens must apply for a Passport Book.
Passport Application Requirements:
- All applicants must be present.
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship in the form of a certified birth certificate with a raised seal and a file date from the registrar of vital statistics from the town or the state the applicant was born in, or a previous passport is required for natural born citizens. Hospital birth certificates and baptismal certificates are not acceptable. Evidence of U.S. citizenship in the form of a naturalization certificate is required for foreign-born citizens who became U.S. citizens through naturalization.
- Two identical 2"x2" regulation passport photos taken within the last 6 months. Photos must have a light or white background and be full face forward. School photos and vending machine photos are not acceptable. Photo service available on site for a $10 fee.
- Identification in the form of a valid driver's license, a school photo ID or an employment photo ID from a major corporation. If applicant does not have any of these IDs, please call (732) 745-3404 for further information.
- The fee for an adult passport age 16 and over is $110.00. Bring a check or money order for $110.00 made payable to US Dept. of State and a check or money order for $35.00 for the execution fee made payable to Middlesex County Clerk. Passport will be valid for 10 years. The fee for a child's passport under the age of 16 is $80.00. Bring a check or money order for $80.00 made payable to US Dept. of State and a check or money order for $35.00 made payable to Middlesex County Clerk. Passport issued to child under age 16 will be valid for 5 years.
- Separate checks are required for each passport.
- Children 15 years and under must appear in person with both parents and bring a certified copy of their birth certificate indicating the names of the parents, and submit previous passport if issued. If only one parent can appear, this parent must have a notarized consent form from the absentee parent, explaining why he or she cannot appear. Single parent households must provide primary evidence of sole custody (Court Order, Divorce Decree, Death Certificate, etc).
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL (732) 745-3405.
Middlesex County Veterans Services Cards
A courtesy service card is available to all veterans in acknowledgement of service rendered to the United States of America.
- Original DD-214 must be recorded with the County Clerk.
- Proof of name and address in Middlesex County in the form of a driver's license, business mail, or property tax bill must be provided.
- Married females requesting ID cards listing a name other than what appears on their DD-214 must also show supporting document showing legal name change.
Office hours for Veterans Services Cards are Monday-Friday 8:30AM - 3:00PM
Any veteran requiring assistance or additional information, may contact Doug Breen, Middlesex County Veteran's Services Coordinator at 732-745-4051.
Gold Star Parent Identification Cards
Gold Star Parent Identification Cards are available from the Middlesex County Clerk’s Office to the parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian of a member of the armed forces who lost his or her life while on active duty for the United States. To honor our nation’s greatest heroes and their families, the card is issued as a courtesy by the Middlesex County Clerk, in acknowledgment of their sacrifice.
This card may be presented to participating merchants/vendors for discounts offered to Veterans and Gold Star Parents making the holder of an identification card eligible for certain benefits, including:
- Free admission to state parks and forests.
- Free or reduced-price admission to New Jersey beaches.
- Free admission to the New Jersey State Museum.
To be eligible for the Middlesex County Gold Star Parent Identification Card the applicant must apply in person and present the following:
- a certification from an organization formed for the support of parents of members of the armed forces who lost their lives while on active duty for United States
- and/or the service member’s Federal Form DD 1300
- and/or documentation indicating the applicant’s relationship to the service member
Applicants must be residents of Middlesex County.
For more information please call 732-745-3405.
This booklet contains names of businesses and companies that offer a discount to veterans with proof of military service. The list was obtained from http://www.veteranprograms.com
Please check the website for current or expired offers. If your DD-214 is already recorded with the County Clerk, please contact us at (732) 745-5722 or (732) 745-3405 and we will mail one out to you!
State of NJ Notary Public Oaths
Our office administers oaths to individuals who reside in Middlesex County and who have applied to the State of New Jersey to become a Notary Public.
Once you receive your Notary Commission from the State of New Jersey you must come into the Middlesex County Clerk’s Office, located at 75 Bayard Street, 4th Floor, in New Brunswick, to take the Notary Public Oath of Office. There is $15.00 filing fee, which is payable by check, credit card (we do not accept American Express) or cash. No appointment is needed. Click here for Notary Public first time and renewal applications.
Customer service for the New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services (609) 292-9292.
Executive Order 170 Extends the Deadline for Notaries Public to be Sworn into Office.
Executive Order 170 extends the deadline for being sworn into office by the County Clerk to ninety (90) days following the last day of the Public Health Emergency (PHE). The State of New Jersey will announce the last day of the PHE at some point in the future.
This extension applies to both new notaries public and notaries public renewing their existing commissions.
Notaries public whose existing commissions expired during the PHE should enter the commission expiration date shown on their most recent renewal certificate whenever executing a notarial action. Note, however, that these notaries must still be sworn before the extended deadline or else their commissions will expire, and they will no longer have the authority to conduct notarial acts.
New notaries must be sworn-in as soon as possible, but no later than the extended deadline, before executing notarial acts.
The County Clerk's office has petitions of naturalization on file for individuals who became United States citizens at the Middlesex County Courthouse from 1806 through 1991. The microfilms are available to the public for viewing, or, if the year of petition or naturalization is known, we will research it for you. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL (732) 745-3405.