The House is believed to have been built by David
Fitzrandolph in 1743. David, a
Freeholder in 1749, also served in other governmental positions including
Overseer of Roads. His extended family
occupied the House until 1848, when Sarah Fitzrandolph, Mr. and Mrs. Nehemiah
Morse, Issac Fitzrandolph and his wife, sold the property to Vandeveer
Giles. The House and property were sold
nine years later to Randolph Martin. The
property eventually came back to the Giles family in 1865, and remained in
their possession until the 1890s.
The Pound House retains original wood floors, plaster
walls, window and door hardware, and most of the original window panes.
Return to East Jersey Old Town Village