***2021 PICNIC RESERVATIONS - UPDATE***
April 1, 2021
Opening Day for picnic reservations for 2021 is Thursday, April 15, 2021. A link to our NEW ELECTRONIC RESERVATIONS SYSTEM will be on the picnic reservation page
on that day. The first avaliable picnic date is April 24, 2021. Please do not call the office to make a picnic reservation. If you have any questions, please visit the picnic reservation page
- All Middlesex County Parks and Open Spaces are open from sunrise to sunset with strict social distancing requirements. The Parks Administration Building is closed to the public until further notice. Park visitors are to practice social distancing and are strongly encouraged to wear a mask while enjoying our parks and open spaces.
Joseph Medwick Park is dedicated to Joseph Michael “Ducky” Medwick (November 24, 1911- March 21, 1975), a native of Carteret. Joseph Medwick was a major league baseball player who began his career as an outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1932. Nicknamed “Ducky” because of his waddling walk, Medwick was elected New Jersey’s “Athlete of the Century”. He is a 10-Time Major League Baseball All-Star who holds the record for consecutive seasons with 40 or more doubles between the years of 1933- 1936. He was inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in 1968.
Joseph Medwick Park was the first location of WOR AM radio station from 1936 to 1967. The station served Philadelphia, Trenton, and New York City. Middlesex County took ownership of Medwick Park in 1970. Since that time, the Board of Chosen Freeholders has raised 15 million dollars through bonds to make major renovations that were completed in September of 2012. This 86 acre park is the largest recreational facility in Carteret.
Location: Borough of Carteret
• Synthetic Little League Field
• Natural Grass Little League Field
• Tennis Courts
• Synthtic Football/Soccer Field
• Natural Grass Football/Soccer Field
• Open Play Area
• (2) Playgrounds
• (2) Comfort Stations
• (2) Reservable Picnic Groves
• (1) Open Picnic Grove
• Paved Bike/Walkways
Key Feature: (2) Nature Observation Decks overlooking Rahway River
You May Also Be Interested In:Printable Park GuideReserve a Picnic AreaReserve a Sports FieldGet an Evening Tennis Pass